Linnebank M1, McDougall CG2, Krueger S3, Biskup S3, Neumann M4, Weller M5, Valavanis A6, Prudlo J7.
Previous case studies reported nine patients with cerebral arteriovenous malformations (AVM) who developed amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) after AVM embolisation. Here, we describe three novel cases of ALS which developed 13-34 years after treatment, including embolisation, of cerebral AVM. This study provides further arguments supporting the thesis that embolisation of cerebral AVM might influence the risk of later ALS development.
- Department of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland, and Helios-Klinik Hagen-Ambrock, Hagen, Germany.
- Endovascular Neurosurgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, Saint Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, USA.
- CeGaT GmbH – Center for Genomics and Transcriptomics, Tübingen, Germany.
- Department of Neuropathology, University of Tübingen and German Centre for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE), Tübingen, Germany.
- Department of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
- Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
- Department of Neurology, University of Rostock and German Centre for Neurodegenerative Diseases/ DZNE, Rostock, Germany.